Monday, March 5, 2012

Somebody That I Used to Know

I was first exposed to a capella music probably around my sophomore year of college. I knew a couple of the guys in A&M’s all-male a capella group Apotheothis and throughout the rest of my time in College Station I made it to every Apotheosis concert that I could.

Not too long ago I discovered a show called The Sing-Off. I haven’t been super dedicated to it but I catch it when I can and this past fall my roommate and I recorded Season 3 and watched it together. From the start I was drawn toward a group called Pentatonix, partly because the 3 original group members are from Arlington, TX, not too far from me, and partly because they are just really good and also really unique. They have a knack for taking pop songs and making them sound just enough like the original that you recognize and enjoy the song but also putting their own spin on it.

All of that to say, I found this video the other day of Pentatonix singing Somebody that I Used to Know by Gotye. I actually hadn’t heard the original song, but I had seen another cover by a group called Walk Off the Earth that is really good. It involves 5 people playing 1 guitar at the same time (video below).

So here’s video of Pentatonix. Enjoy!



And if you like the song, here is the cover by Walk Off the Earth. They have a lot of really good, creative videos you can check out on their YouTube channel.


No comments: