Friday, March 9, 2012

Sage Redeemed Video -- pt. 1

During my senior year at A&M I got a Facebook message from the Director of an organization called Sage Girls Ministry. I believe she had gotten my name from my friend Donna and asked if I would be interested in playing drums at a few conferences that they put on for middle school and high school girls in the spring.

I immediately said that I would love to, but I think I that the dates only worked out for me to play at 1 or 2 events that year. Even with the limited time I spent with the ladies, I immediately loved them and knew that I would fit right in. Since then I have been able to play at almost all of the conferences and am happy to say that I have been able to continue to work with Sage even now that I have moved and am working full time.

This fall when I got my camera I told Merritt Johnston, the director, that I needed her to help me put my new camera to use, and she happily obliged. The theme of the conferences this year is "Redeemed" and she mentioned doing some interviews of the Sage team explaining how the Lord has redeemed certain areas of their life. The plan was to film several people at a meeting we had a week before the first conference. As it turned out, no one was really interested in being on camera that day except for Heather. So I filmed Heather that day and over the course of the next week I was able to edit it at least to the point where it was good enough to be shown on Friday night.

Much of Heather's story has to do with her mom, who was addicted to drugs and had many struggles while Heather was growing up but later, both Heather and her mom came to know the Lord. The song in the video is a hymn called "Redeemed" which is perfect for the theme in and of itself, but it also happens to be Heather's mom's favorite song, so I knew that we had to use it. Heather is a singer/songwriter and so she recorded the hymn for me that week and I was happy to be able to incorporate it in the video. Even though the girls that we showed the video to had no idea, I love that the music choice had such rich meaning on several different levels.

This story is to be continued, but in the meantime check out the first video that I made with my new camera: Heather's Redemption Story.

Heather's Redemption Story from Amy Marks on Vimeo

No comments: